Top Stories was going to take a break for the holiday, but the news kept coming in, beginning with our own terrific Roosevelt House event with Joel Klein…. Then came the NAEP results for the nation’s urban districts (TUDA) – big news, and not all good…. Hillary Clinton advocating for closing “the Word Gap”…. DeBlasio kicks off his Pre-K campaign… AFT-NEA mergers… Pondiscio challenges Meier to a Progressive duel…. And the Lists begin….
Joel Klein Defends His Chancellorship – And Offers Encouragement to Future Reformers
NAEPs for Cities Scores Are In – Is it TUDA the Wrong Horn?
Results are “Encouraging,” Says ED
Not so Fast, says Smarick
Statement from Arne Duncan
Dropout Nation calls it “the NAEP Dishonor Roll”
NYC Scores Flat
Joy Resmovits says Mixed Results
Which State Closed the White-Black Gap the Most?
The Push for pre-K Kicks Up Some Dust
The New First Grade: Kindergarten
DeBlasio Launches Pre-K Initiative
New Report on Pre-K in Tennessee: Cuidado
David Brooks: The “Fundamental Attribution Error” (Does it Apply to Education?)
From the Archives
The Fundamental Attribution Error of Education: It’s Not Bad People, but Bad Ideas:
More AFT-NEA Mergers
The Word Gap and the Knowledge Gap
Hillary Clinton: Close the Word Gap
How the Word Gap is Connected to the Knowledge Gap
The Difference between Knowledge and Skills
Can Knowledge Level the Playing Field?
Miracle on High Street: The Year at the Core Knowledge Foundation
Amanda Ripley: Students are Bored to Death
What Should Kids Know – and Why?
Robert Pondiscio: Who is the Real Progressive?
Deborah Meier Responds: It Doesn’t Matter What Kids Know
From the Archives
Michael Gove: The Progressive Betrayal
Walton Foundation Pumps Cash into Vouchers
USA Today: We Need Tax Credits for Faith-Based Schools
Let the 2013 Lists Begin
NYT Top 75 Education Books of 2013
Education Next Review of 2013
Mike Goldstein’s Top Ten for 2013
- What GPA should teachers have? http://bit.ly/1c9AksU
- Should high schools herd more kids to (AP) Stats than AP Calculus? http://bit.ly/1bchUl6
- Ray’s Tech Product Review: Class Dojo http://bit.ly/1fBKamm
- Revisiting Good To Great: What Happened To Those 11 Companies? Hmmmmm….. http://bit.ly/1dKeI3v
- I’ve Taught 4 Years. Should I Get A Masters? http://bit.ly/1fk2Rdw
- Fighting Back Against Differentiated Instruction http://bit.ly/1bchYl7
- Khan Academy vs Accelerated Math http://bit.ly/ISAPLE
- The Four Horsemen of Fixed Mindset http://bit.ly/1dkoXek
- Jared’s Tech Review: Bloomboard http://bit.ly/1cyPxPj
- The Merits of the Demerit System http://bit.ly/19vH16i
In the War on Poverty, a Dogged Adversary
Children and Poverty: Invitation to a Dialogue
Does Everything Have to be Fun?
The Road to Happiness
Teachers and Teaching
Why Overseas Students Do Better in Math and Science Overseas
Barry Garelick’s New Math Education Book
Good Teaching: the Movie
Teacher Eval Pushback in New Mexico
Cuomo says More Spending Won’t Solve our Problems (See Minute 8:00)
Success for All Continues to be Successful
How about a Cap on Bad Schools?